Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Price of Protest

About 75p a day at the moment.

Using my specially purchased laminator, I produced some rather fetching posters to hang around the offending crossings to solicit local opinion (actually, to get fellow protesters involved, which when you think about it is a whole different thing)

It took me a little while to master how to tie them around the poles at the crossing (It's a real science. Unless very well secured, they spin in the wind)

Anyhow, I was pleased with the results, and a number of people stopped to read, and to comment about how they too felt the crossing was dangerous (and one suggested it depended on whether you pushed the button or not. Thanks for that mature consideration, mate).

So, I strolled off to the station this morning, and guess what. In a fit of unusual efficiency, the rubbish guys have taken them down. Can I get the Council to pick up my rubbish once a week without spilling it all over the road? No. But a legitimate piece of local protest literature. Whipped away as if it had never been there. Now I understand why people paste posters on now (which is genuinely messy and hideously illegal).

So, it looks like 75p and 10 minutes a day out of my life for the next few weeks, and I do battle with that most unlikely enemy of democracy, the road sweeper...

No comments: